tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 14 15:12:23 1997

Re: To -'e' or Not To -'e'

[email protected] on behalf of William H. Martin wrote:

> In one of the descriptions of a Klingon dialect (Morska, I
> think), Okrand remarks that the dialect does not normally add
> the {-'e'} to the subject of a "to be" sentence. This explains
> the {Dujvets 'o nuq, reen} line in ST5.

Ack!?!  Why must I keep repeating this?!?  The Morskan dialect is heard in
Star Trek VI, not V!  :)

> Meanwhile, it provides a
> counterargument to those who believe that the presence of the
> {-'e'} implies that the subject is the focus of the sentence.

Hu'vats!  chaq naDev "Morska" nganpu' tu'lu'!  chaq Morska ngan jI!  mutIch
Dane'a'?  ghloS SovaD chohIvmo!

chutvam lo'la Morska ngan!  lo'labe' lats!  nIv Morska hol!  HIv ta' hol!

hoch Sep hol jatswI'pu' vIHanrup!  re tajaj Morska!

(That's hard to say!)

--
SuStel, who's definitely NOT acting as
Beginners' Grammarian