tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 10 15:01:27 1997

Re: Aw, shucks

Disclaimer: I do not support the idea of transliterating into Klingon!

At 11:06 AM 8/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>   I'm getting a windswept feeling.
>Phonetically = o SuQ

Besides the fact that phonetically spelling English words in Klingon is
usually a Very Bad Thing [tm], that seems to be a bit inaccurate as far as
how it would sound.  "Aw, shucks" is pronounced roughly like "Ah shux,"
your rendition would be closer to "Oh shoox," if we pretend that {Q} is
like "x" as heard by bumbling Terrans.

I have quite a bit of experience with the transliteration of sounds after
working on my Paramount Hol page <end shameless plug, sorry>.  I, in my
personal opinion, think that the closest rendition of the sounds of "Aw,
shucks" in the Klingon pronunciation system would be *{'a SaQ}.  Since
there is no short {u}, I think {a} would have to do.  However, if we were
writing, it would definately be better to just leave it as "Aw, shucks" in
quotes and be done with it!

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level