tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 20:02:17 1997

Re: chay'

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:52:13 -0700 (PDT)  Mark Mandel
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh SuStel:
>

> Well, when considering {-mo'}, {qatlh} IS in the same syntactic position.
> <<<<<
>
> Not really.  It's become a custom on this list to put <-mo'> clauses
> before the sentences they modify and recommend that others do
> likewise, in imitation of the canonical placement of <-meH> clauses
> as prescribed in TKD section 6.2.4.  But we have no canonical rule
> on the placement of <-mo'> clauses.
>
> Nouns with <-mo'>, on the other hand, do normally go at the beginning
> of the sentence... but, come to think it, I don't know where that rule is stated.
> HISovmoH vay'!

TKD 6.1, p60:

"Any noun in the sentence indicating something other than
subject or object comes first, before the object noun. Such
nouns usually end in a Type 5 noun suffix (section 3.3.5)."

Also note that for most other Type 9 verb suffixes or other
subordinate clause verbs ({-DI', -chugh, -taHvIS}, Okrand gives
examples showing that the subordinate clause can preceed or
follow the main clause. He does not do that for {-mo'}. Instead,
he just says it is identical to the noun (which we know must
come at the beginning of the sentence).

Meanwhile, the {-meH} you pointed to doesn't quite behave like
you describe. Since it can modify nouns as well as verbs, if
that noun is subject, it can appear between the subject and the
verb.

> This document was created by voice with Dragon Systems'
> NaturallySpeaking, except for the Klingon words.

Doj.

>      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
> Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
> **              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
>     Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
>  320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
>           Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

charghwI'

Back to archive top level