tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 09 11:46:24 1997

Re: tlgingan food, etc.

At 07:21 AM 4/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
: chech		    ice

That's chUch, BTW. (chEch is "be drunk" and *chechwI' translates my surname,
so I'm very aware of this word!)

: These are all scattered around in TKD itself.  (By the way, credit to Voragh.
: He mentions that <chech> isn't used by Klingons (at least he implies that,
and,
: given Klingon culture, that sounds right), but if you're doing a menu, it
should
: probably be in there.
:
: qoror

I believe I doubted that Klingons would use something as decadent as ice in
their alcoholic beverages, but that some Terrans would insist on it.

[Oops! I touched the wrong key and posted before I was done! Hivqa'
veqlargh. To continue...]

Klingons may, of course, use ice for other purposes.

I think that we've learned from either the novelization of "ST: Klingon!" or
"The Way of the Warrior" that Klingons drink their bloodwine warm or even
heated. And the vat of bloodwine at the Order of the Bat'leth initiation
appeared to have been left at room temperature all night in "Apocalypse Rising".

Hmmm... do Paramount's Klingons prefer a higher ambient temperature than
Humans? (We know Cardassians do.) Have any Klingons ever made comments about
the environment in TNG/DS9/VGR? John Ford's Klingons liked it hot and *very*
humid in "The Final Reflection".

The fact that tlhIngan Hol has (apparently) native words for "ice" (chuch),
"be frozen" (taD), "freeze" (taDmoH), "melt" (tet), "be cold" (bIr) and even
"snow" as a verb (peD) MIGHT suggest that some parts of Qo'noS do experience
cold winters. Then again, it might not.

-- Voragh

   Steven L. Boozer                          Cataloging Department
   [email protected]             University of Chicago Library

Back to archive top level