tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 02 19:13:28 1997

RE: DaHar Master

On Wednesday, April 02, 1997 2:51 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Mark
E. Shoulson wrote:

> >DaHar Master (daHar pIn'a') (pronounced dah-HAWRR pind-AW)
>
> Why "AW", BTW?

Most MSN Klingon definitions have weird pronunciation keys like that.  I'm
certain that someone else just transcribed what they heard as best as
possible.

> Also, though I don't know the correct answer yet, I think Okrand didn't
> mean "pIn'a'" for "Master" in this sense.  pIn'a' is from pIn/boss, and
> this is "Master" as in one who is knowledgeable in a field.  He mentioned
> once, I think, that he's looking for a better term for this meaning.  He
> may come out with one soon.

I agree with this.  Without a new word, I'd suggest {po'wI''a'} as the closest
approximation.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian