tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 15:00:47 1996

RE: The FAQ section 3.5 -- charghwI' !?!

muQuchmoH charghwI'!  jatlh:

<<< See? You've got it all wrong when it comes to quotations. We've ALL had
it all wrong all along. >>>

Not ALL of us!  This is *exactly* what I've been going on about all this time!
 majQa', charghwI'!  Together we can take this bunch!  :)

I would like to point out, though, that after reading the FAQ, I see that it's
true: the only reason we assume that Klingon only uses direct quotations is
because of the {qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'} line in TKD.  I'm not sure I like this.
In the beginning of Power Klingon, the Klingon says {jISaHbe'} and the Terran
responds with {bISaHbe' qatlh bIjatlh}.  Now, one may argue that the Terran is
using poor Klingon, but I don't think that is what's going on.  The point of
the scene is to show that being able to speak Klingon is not enough; one must
learn to understand the "power of language."  This line could very well mean
"Why do you say you don't care?"  However, I myself will not start using it
until clearer evidence is unearthed.

SuStel
Stardate 96826.6

Back to archive top level