tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 07:58:10 1996

Re: The FAQ section 3.5 -- charghwI' !?!

charghwI' -

 qechmeylIjmo' Qomqu' yabwIj!

Let me summarize your argument to see if I understand it:

According to all canon sources, verbs of speaking appear to be
intransitive.  Since they don't take objects, you must use the non-object
verb prefixes.  You indicate the one spoken to by  -vaD or by using a
subject-object prefix, except in this case the "object" is really an
indirect object.  Quotations are not actually objects of the verbs, but
just related sentences, and you need context to interpret the relation.
For example:

  SoHvaD jIjalth.  "ghobe'."
or

  qajatlh.  "ghobe'."     for "I say 'No' to you."

but not
 * SoHvaD "ghobe'" vIjatlh.

I have only one question.  You state that the only object used with
{jatlh} is {tlhIngan Hol}.  But what about {nuqjatlh}?  If {jatlh} is
truly intransitive, wouldn't you have to use {chay'}: {chay' bIjatlh}?

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level