tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 22 18:21:04 1996

Re: meqleH ???

>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:25:02 -0700
>From: Chet Braun <[email protected]>
>

>  > I once, long ago, posted to the list to see if anyone had a
>  > clarification of the correct spelling of the hand held weapon
>  > on a last season episode.  It sounded to me like [meqleH]
>  > but before I use that spelling I'd like to get another opinion.
>
>  That, as you know is dicey stuff.
>  The batleh comes from derivation of batlh'etlh and that would cause me
>  to assume that the meqleH is derived with   'etlh   at the end.
>  I would spell it  <meq'etlh>
>---------------------
>Why is the general opinion that [betleH] derives from [batlh 'etlh] ?
>Granted some of the letters are the same but that's about it.
>Was [betleH] a way of retrofitting Paramounts bad pronunciation of [batlh 'etlh] ?
>My understanding was that a [batlh 'etlh] was a *specific* [betleH] like
>the one used by the head of a clan.

This is indeed my take on it.  *Kahless*' betleH is the "batlh 'etlh";
that's its *name*, like Arthur's sword is Excalibur or Fafhrd's sword is
Greywand.  That seems to be how things are being used; Kahless calls his
sword the sword of honor, but we know the weapon is called a betleH.

Now, in the external history of tlhIngan Hol (i.e. its history in the world
which the USA inhabits as opposed to that which Starfleet inhabits),
"betleH" really *did* derive from batlh'etlh.  The word for the sword was
supposed to be "batlh'etlh," but its pronunciation got so badly mangled by
the actors that Okrand changed it to "betleH."  This should not be
considered significant in internal tlhIngan-Hol linguistics; after all, the
word for "prisoner" changed pretty drastically too...

>I take it Okrand has not mentioned this one yet.

Not to my knowledge.

>HetaQ
>

>------ =_NextPart_000_01BBBF8D.03DB0580
>
>eJ8+IhkDAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAENgAQAAgAAAAIAAgABBJAG

And gobs more veQ.  Gotta find a way to shut that off.

~mark

Back to archive top level