tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 20 10:03:06 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol in

ghItlh SuStel:

> >  deciphering what was in this show.  GIVE them dramatic license.
> >  It worked for the show, and  I thought it was
> >  a terrific episode.
> >  *AND* now we really have a word for "(romantic) love".
>
> wejpuH.  Doghqu' lutqoq!  nga'chuq *Quark* *Grilka* je.  nga'chuq wo'rIv
> *Dax* je.  nga'chuq *O'Brien* *Kira* je luneHlaw'.  wanI'meyvam vIHarlaHbe'!
>  QIpqu'!  'ej mevpa' lut, tlhIngan Holqoq lujatlhtaHqu'.  HolqoqvamvaD
> "Klingonese" pong Ouark.  chaq pIm "Klingonese," tlhIngan Hol je.  'e'
> vItulqu'!

Spoken forcefully, even in English, this is exactly how I would expect a
Klingon to react !! I imagine a sarcastic sneer across your face. In fact,
given all the Klingon passing through this list, this is one of the only
times that I felt that it was real Klingon being spoken (although I didn't
follow all the stuff passing about being Romulan spies recently ...)

This is perhaps a good thing for beginners like myself -- find forceful,
emphatic things to say which suit the language and learn with those rather
than try to translate english pleasantries like "nice to meet you" ...

SuStel, wej lutvam vIlegh. DaH vIlegh vIneHbe'qu'!
jIqawchugh vaj lutvam Dogh vIbejbe'. tun *wo'rIv* !

nI'jaj yInlIj, 'ej batlh bIHeghjaj.

Qorbeq

--

|      www.parallel.demon.co.uk      |          "Still a newbie!"          |