tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 04 11:00:13 1996

Another reason to learn Klingon

I was reading the new issue of "Discover"  (November) today, and in a
section called "Light Elements" in the back, the writer was talking
about the Area 51 military base near Roswell that figures in so much UFO
conspiracy theory.  He mentioned a person code-named "Jarod" who was an
engineer at Area-51 and who actually spoke to an alien.  He said the alien
spoke "a dialect similar to Hungarian."

Hmm, I thought, what does "like Hungarian" mean?  Well, hungarian has
lots of sybilents and gutterals, it uses subject-object affixes to form
verbs, and has lots of suffixes for modifying its verbs and nouns.  Sound
like any other languages you know?

So, the truth is out!  Klingon actually IS an alien language.  "Mark
Okrand" is part of the same program begun by Steven Spielberg with his
movies ET and Close Encounters, to prepare us earthlings for the
revelation of the aliens among us.  It's "Okrand's" job to get us used to
their language, by presenting the real thing as a made-up language based
on a TV show (which is a ridiculous idea, when you stop to think about it).

When the aliens do reveal themselves (probably soon) and establish
diplomatic relations, our government and business organizations are going
to need translators.  We speakers of the Hol will be perfectly
positioned to step right in.  So, dust off your copy of Conversational
Klingon and start sharpening that accent!

-- ter'eS

"Will work for net access"

Back to archive top level