tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 01 14:20:29 1996

Re: 'The Deadly Field', Eskimo language, and tlhIngan Hol

Just as a note, Klingon is not based upon Alaskan Native American
languages any more than a Porsche 914 is based upon a Volkswagen beetle.
They share some parts.

charghwI'

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:08:56 -0700 Volodiya Reid
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Cory Caserta wrote:
> > I had seen the televised version of 'The Deadly Field'(or was it 'Deadly
> > Fields',) a Steven Segall film, and there were some eskimoes in it. When I
> > heard them speak, the sounds that they made sounded strangely tlIngan! I heard
> > 'tlh', 'q', 'Q', 'S', ''' [glottal stops], and 'ng' alot.  I just thought it
> > was interesting to see a 'human' language that sounded so familiar to tlhIngan
> > Hol, and from what I could hear from words and sounds, all of the letters
>
> Well, as probably the only Alaskan in this group, I could respond to that.
> I have some friends who are Inupiaq Indians and their language does sound
> like tlhingan.  The structure of many Native Alaskan languages is much
> like tlhingan as well.  Including the subject-object marker that we add to
> verbs.  So that wasn't totally a strange thing to me.  They also have the
> suffixes and prefixes that create long, yet very specific and meaningful
> words.  I, too, have wondered if Okrand based tlhingan on Native Alaskan
> languages.

Back to archive top level