tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 01 09:13:09 1996

Re: Help! When I feel I have to use [-ghach].

>Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 07:20:50 -0700
>From: Chet Braun <[email protected]>

>In the following translation I've used [-ghach] on the verb [vang] with a suffix.
>My question is adding a noun suffix to the [-ghach] construction.  Is it allowed
>in the exapmple bellow where I added [-Daj] to show the possesive?  What about
>adding [-mey] or [-pu'] to the end of the same [-ghach] construct?

Yes; it's a noun once you've -ghached it.

>I've read about the general controversy regarding [-ghach] so I've tried to minimize
>the use and allways use a verb suffix.

Hmm.  -taH might be good instead of -choH.  There are also recastings,
using "when your enemy acts..." perhaps.  Or consider
"ta'"/accomplishment.

>Also is it acceptable to use [lo'] and [lo'be'] as adjective modifiers in this example?

Use lI' and lI'be'.  We have canon even for the latter: seven useless
tribbles/Soch yIHmey lI'be'.

~mark

Back to archive top level