tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 14:53:16 1996

RE: KLBC+: tlhIngan Hol pongwIj vIwIvpu'

I'll address your grammar first.

jatlh Perry J. Brulotte:

>  DaH tlhIngan Hol pongwIj vIwIvpu'.  pongwIj 'oH <De'vu'chu'wI'>.

Don't forget that you need {-'e'} at the end of Y 'oH X'e' constructions.

>  ^one who manages data clearly/perfectly^ 'e' DIvI' Hol vImugh.

You don't seperate quotations from sentences with {'e'}.  Besides, this says
something like "I translate Federation Standard that 'one who manages data
perfectly.'"  We know you're speaking English, so why not just say

pongvam vImughDI' jIjatlh "one who manages data perfectly."
When I translate this name, I say ". . ."

Why bother explaining that this is Federation Standard?

>  tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh, Dub 'e' vItul.

Not bad, actually, although it's really two sentences crammed in here: "I
write Klingon" and "I hope it improves."  There are quite a number of ways to
say this.  Here's one:

DubtaH tlhIngan Hol laHwIj 'e' vItul.
I hope that my Klingon language ability is improving.

>  tlhIngan Hol vImugh 'e' jIqab, vIQub.

Erk.  Well, {qab} is a stative verb, "be bad," so I can't say something like
*{vIqab} "I be bad something."  Therefore, you can't use {qab} as the second
verb in a sentence-as-object sentence.  Even if you could, you've got the
wrong prefix on it; you'd need {vI-}.  Finally, although you could say {'e'
vIQub} for "I think} (and note the {'e'}, which you did not use, but which you
need), there's a much better way to say this: use the verb suffix {-law'}.

I'd probably have phrased this as {DIvI' Hol vImughmeH, jIpo'be'law'} "I think
I'm not skilled at [in order to] translating Federation Standard."

>  pongwIj boparHa''a'?  DaH tuja'!

Imperative prefix: {DaH HIja'!}

>  pongwIj tIq vIpar.

Your translation has "My name is long."  Your Klingon statement is "I dislike
by long (distance) name."  I don't know, but I think you could use either
{tIq} or {nI'} depending on whether you are referring to the written form or
the spoken form of the name, respectively.  In either case, your English would
turn into {tIq pongwIj} or {nI' pongwIj}.

>  pongwIj qIgh vIneH, 'ach latlh pongwIj vIQub

{qIgh} is a noun, "shortcut," and is not what you're looking for here.  You
want to say "short name," so just take whichever verb you chose above, and add
{-be'} to it.  {pong tIqbe' vIneH} or {pong nI'be' vIneH}.  (Oh, you don't
want to to keep saying {-wIj}, do you?

As for {latlh pong}, since we don't really know if you can put {latlh} in
front of another noun like this, why not just leave off the word {pong}?
Heck, maybe {wa'} would do better here.  We know that's what your talking
about from the context.  I also don't *know* if you can "think a name," but
you can certainly "devise" one (or try to).

(And what happened to the "cannot" part of "think" from your English?)

pong nI'be' vIneH, 'ach wa' vI'oghlaHbe'.
I want a short name, but I cannot devise one.

Now to answer your question.

pongvam vIpar.  bIlugh: nI'bej.  Doghlaw'.  vIjatlhDI' jIvoQlI' net Harlaw'.
jatlhlu'meH, Qatlh.  pong DamughlaHbe'bogh yIwIv!

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96892.3

Back to archive top level