tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 27 22:29:19 1996

Re: New on the list

Ludo writes:
>I've been trying to translate the motto of my unit into tlhIngan Hol.
>For the first one "Pericula non timeo" (I don't fear danger) I came up
>with:
>
>Qob jIHvIpbe'

"I am not afraid to be danger" or "he is not afraid to monitor danger."
The suffix {-vIp} doesn't mean "be afraid" by itself; it must apply to
a verb.  The verb here is apparently {jIH}, which is either "monitor"
or a pronoun being used to mean "to be".

You can express this idea in at least three different ways.  I might use
the verb {Haj} "dread" or the verb {ghIj} "scare", or put {-vIp} on the
verb {tu'} "discover, find".
{Qob vIHajbe'} "I don't dread danger."
{mughIjbe' Qob} "Danger does not scare me."
{Qob vItu'vIpbe'} "I am not afraid to find danger."

>The second one (Fast and furious) eludes me because furious isn'n in
>TKD and I can't think of a synonime.

Does {qu'} "fierce" work for you?

>Also I'm not sure if it should be a
>command or normal verbs (be fast and furious vs we are fast and
>furious). A Klingon would prefer it as a command, I think.

A motto sits better with me as a simple statement.  I think a slogan
would be okay as a command, but there's not enough difference between
the two ideas for me to have a good argument one way or another.

The first thing I come up with is {nom maqu'} "We are quickly fierce."
Remember that the word {nom} "fast" is an adverb, not a verb.