tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 27 20:55:18 1996

Re: 'a'

>I am new at this, and I was wondering if 'a' is used simply as an
>augmenative suffix.  For instance: if chop means to bite, shouldn't
>chop'a' be to bite hard?  But according to the useful expressions part of
the
>klingon dictionary,
>it means "Does it bite?"  What gives?
>
>Scott

Be aware there are two completely different kinds of suffixes:  Noun suffixes
and Verb suffixes.  {chop} is a Verb.  When we say {chop'a'}, we are asking a
question.  The Verb suffix {-'a'} asks a question.  Thus we get Does it bite?
 Only when we add {-'a'} to a Noun is it augmentive.  Thus {yuQ'a'} means a
major planet.  On the other hand, {yuQ tIn} is the proper way to say 'big
planet.'  {yuQHom} means asteroid, while {yuQ mach} means small planet.
 Therefore, the augmentive Noun suffixes are not Adjectives.

The main point as an answer to your post, though, is that the Verb suffix
{-'a'} is not the same as the Noun Suffix {-'a'} at all.

peHruS

Back to archive top level