tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 24 04:42:34 1996

Re: KLBC: How long have we been learning?

[email protected] writes:
\ We know how to ask {How much fuel do we have?}
\ How do we ask {How long have we been learning Klingon?}
If we were to subcategorize the {chuvmey}, {'ar} is, besides a question
word, an adjective.  You can say "How many X" or "How much X", where X
is a noun.  In general, we don't know how to say "How [much] X", where
X is a concept expressed by a stative verb.  I would look for other
ways of casting each sentence.

If {'ar} could be used as an adverb, we would be in good shape; you
could just say {'ar V N}?  Since it's not, if you want a general
mechanism, you probably have to nominalize the verb.  This is generally
regarded as a Bad Thing.

\ {How long have we been learning Klingon?}
This one translates nicely to a quantitative question:
qaStaHvIS poH 'ar tlhIngan Hol wIghoj?

\ {How well-cooked is the food?}
I suspect that in most cases where you would ask this question, a
simple {vutchu''a' Soj?} would do the trick.  If you really care about
exactly how cooked the food is, then you can do that aforementioned Bad
Thing:
{vutchu'ghach 'ar ghaj Soj?}  "How much well-cookedness does the food have?"

But how would you answer that question?

\ {How red is the blood?}
Again, how would you answer the question, once asked?  Maybe you
could make it multiple choice instead of asking for a range:

{Doq'a' 'Iw?  Doq?  DoqHa'?}

--
Mark J. Reed                     |             http://www.sware.com
Email: [email protected]  |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level