tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 18:51:28 1996

Re: KLBC: Greetings

Brian D. Murphy
>While on the subject of compound nouns, what are the guidlines for them?  The
>treatment in TKD (3.2.1) is pretty scant.  Are there some additional rules or
>commonly accepted practices regarding their formation?

I don't think there are any additional rules beyond TKD 3.2.1, unless you
count TKD 3.4, which doesn't say how to *make* them, only how to interpret
them.  I tend to avoid them unless they make sense as a noun-noun possessive.
Occasionally, there is a reasonably obvious translation of something like
{qoqchom}, but there's no prescriptive rule for forming them.