tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 07:38:07 1996

Klingon writing tool

I'm despairing, having missed most of this discussion.  Thanks Frank for
bringing it to my attention!

Something to throw in the fray here:  Mark asks "Why assume that the typeface of
pIqaD that we've seen was invented before moveable type?"
For one, the seal for the Klingon Royal Guard includes the pIqaD symbol for
"gh."  The Klingon Empire's been around for a while and the royal guard right
along with it.  I find it hard to fathom the possibility that a Klingon would
decide that a imperical seal was decidedly unfashionable and resolve to redesign
it.  You could use the same logic to support the changing of the typeface
itself.  Klingons aren't one for design, unless it's practical or serves an
intimidating purpose, and the likelihood of them developing a relatively new
typeface for mass consumption is slim.  After all, we see no other typeface
anywhere.  My feeling is that the pIqaD has changed little over the centuries
and to try to parallel the pIqaD with the numerous typeface designs of our own
culture wouldn't be terribly logical given the info we have so far.

This would support the stylus theory, which I feel is the most viable and has
just enough Klingon color to make it interesting...

Dave S.

Back to archive top level