tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 21 13:24:41 1996

Huy'Du' le'

Peter Watkins wrote:
& >2. My eyebrows are smaller than those of a Klingon's
& >        -> Huy'meywI' mach law' tlhIngan mach puS

ghunchu'wI' noted:
& "My poetic-referenced-eyebrows are smaller than a Klingon."
& (I should hope so!)  Eyebrows count as body parts, so they take the
& special plural suffix {-Du'} unless you want intentionally to break
& that particular grammatical rule for poetic effect.  You also ought
& to refer to {tlhIngan Huy'Du'} in the second part of the phrase,
& since you're not comparing your eyebrows to a whole Klingon.

Huy'Du' le'qu' ghajlaw' Peter.

Note also that that Peter Watkins' eyebrows are capable of
communication: -wI' is used instead of -wIj to indicate the
possessive.  (I have this marvellous image of not-quite Klingon-sized
eyebrows, wandering about and chatting amongst themselves.)  Even
though the eyebrows are attached to a language-using being, Huy'
should take the dumb -wIj suffix.

    wovwI'

Back to archive top level