tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 18 08:21:23 1996

Re: tlhob mughwI' & KLBC

> At 06:26 AM 5/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >DaHjaj "It doesn't matter when I receive it" vIjatlh vIneHpu'.
> >mu'tlheghvam vIlo'pu': {potlhbe' vIHevDI' qastaHbogh poH'e'}.
>
> "I want  that I write {<snip>} today"
Or  "Today I wanted to write {<snip>}".  English uses past tense for this
construct where Klingon has no tense, and the adverb can go anywhere, but makes
most sense at the beginning.

> "I use sentences: {A periode of time which is continues when I receive
> unimportant}"
{mu'tlheghvam} is "this sentence".  "sentences" would be {mu'tlheghmey}.

{potlh} is a verb.  {potlhbe'} means "is not important".
{qaS} mans "occur".  So you get:

"The period of time which is occurring when I receieve it is not important".

> {vIHevDI', qastaHbogh poH'e', potlhbe'}
The word order here is wrong... the thing that is not important, {poH}, is
the subject, and thus comes after the verb {potlh}.

> Would {-Daq} added to {poH'e'}, thus making it {poH'e'Daq}, be possible,
> because how I see it you are IN the periode of time, thus located there in?
As far as we know, {-Daq} can refer only to a spatial relationship, not a
temporal one.  We use "in" to mean both in English, but Klingon is not English.
Note the translation of "A thousand throats may be cut in one night by a
running man" in the back of TKD.  It's not {wa' ramDaq}; it's
{qaStaHvIS wa' ram} - "while one night occurs."  Also,  in this case, I'm
not talking about what happens in the period of time - I'm talking about the
period of time itself.  As soon as you put {-Daq} on something, it can't be
the subject of the sentence anymore, and we're left without anything to talk
about.

> I'm not sure about{-'e'}, would it be wrong to remove it, when I placed
> {-Daq} on the word {poH}?
No, it would not be wrong; it would be necessary.  Both {-'e'} and {-Daq} are
type 5 suffixes; you cannot have two suffixes of the same type on any word at
the same time.

> Forgive my poor translation, I've just started to understand Klingon.
No forgiveness necessary.  manIDmo' maghoj.

-marqoS

Back to archive top level