tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 17 13:45:16 1996

Re: Cannon for Multiple Consonants

>Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 09:45:33 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Sa' qIQwI')

>~mark:
>>>From: [email protected] (Sa' qIQwI')
>>>tIq vIngIpmo' jIQoSbej, but I refuse to feel guilty for=20
>>
>>"I'm certainly sorry I borrowed a heart"?  I think I'm missing the point of
>>this maxim.

>Oops, I realized there are *two* words for long... and it
>seems I've forgotten a crucial word... let me rephrase:

>nI' poHlIj vIngIpmo' jIQoS    ...I mean:
>jIHmo' poHlIj Dalo'pu' jIQoS

>- any better now?

Um.. not entirely... "your time is long because I borrowed it I'm sorry"?
Do you mean "I'm sorry I borroewed so much of your time"?  Maybe "nI'mo'
poHlIj vIngIpbogh" or something.  You're missing a -bogh someplace.

>>>Or is it all copyrighted merchandise like computer programs?
>>>Can I use non-TKD words if I haven't paid for the licence?
>>
>>I note that you have to pay for TKD also; it's no more free than HolQeD.

>The question was: Do I need to buy TKD/HolQeD/etc. to get
>a licence to use Klingon?  Or is it allowed to use Klingon
>if learnt from other sources?

>I didn't pay anything for TKD.  I got it from a friend who
>had an idle copy.  Same for CK amd PK.

Good question.  I never liked the idea of a copyrighted language... but
nobody consulted me when they made the laws.  Talk to Bob LeChevalier of
the Logical Language Group for first-hand accounts of what happens when an
entire language is copyrighted (as the language his group was splitting off
from was).  Ick.  It would seem to me that you can use the language however
you use find out about it, and Paramount can't claim to own, say, the
Klingon song you wrote, but that if someone makes the TKD's information
avvailable publically, Paramount might be able to go after that person for
breach of copyright.  Actually, it likely doesn't matter whether or not
they CAN go after that person... but if they choose to that can be enough
hassle to warrant avoiding.

>>Basically, Okrand put some information in TKD, which he published.
>>Some is in CK and PK and TKW; not all of it is collected in any
>>one place "officially"

>What a pity, that would be something useful for KLI to do.

Agreed.  It's on my endless list of things to do for the website.

>A classic sales trick. Buy the basic things at low
>price and then discover that it's insufficient.
>Once you've been hooked you have to buy the rest.
>e.g. The prices of mobile phones is coming down...
>but *using* them becomes more expensive.

I think it's safe to say that was never a master plan of the KLI's, and it
isn't in Okrand's interest, so it isn't one of his.

>>Okrand has also made other information
>>available through HolQeD, using that as his medium.

>If that's the only medium Klingon will never become
>too a popular language... well, who wants that anyway.

He has to make his pronouncements somehow, how else can he reach people?
On the net?  Sorry, lots of interested parties aren't online.  Publishing
books three or four times a year?  He hasn't the time, and that would be
even more expensive than HolQeD.  Information usually comes out to the list
from HolQeD as well... afterwards.

Would you have him send paper mail to every man, woman, and child on the
planet?  :)

>>Note, too, that although the KLI is non-profit,

>"Non-profit" is merely legal jargon...

Maybe, but people seem to think that means it has no operating costs.

>>that doesn't mean it's non-expenses; it has to pay its bills too.
>>If you want information about something, you buy the book, right?

>No, books are expensive.  I check out the public library and
>internet first, where plenty of information is available free.

And what's stopping your library from carrying HolQeD?  It wouldn't be the
only one.  Had your friend not had an idle TKD, would you have written to
Paramount demanding that you be sent one, since information is destined to
be free?  Or just convinced your library to carry it, if it didn't already?
I'd like to see the information all be free, but there are other problems
of society that need to be fixed in order to make that practicable, and
that's a discussion for another time with another person (who knows more
about this than I).

>>What's the problem, then?

>The business is low and my private company is knee-deep
>in debt.  I haven't got a regular salary ever since 1990.
>That IS a big problem to me.

I can sympathize.  And I'm sure that makes you all the more sensitive to
the reality of the KLI's need to raise funds by selling its journal.

~mark

Back to archive top level