tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 22:00:01 1996

Re[2]: Beginner's questions

>"We consider Marc Okrand the only legitimate source for additions to the
>language."
>THIS is why tlhIngan Hol isn't (yet) a language.  It isn't a living, growing
>thing as long as there is this resistance.  "Khomerex nal khesterex." --to
>quote
>The Final Reflection.

tlhIngan Hol might not be a *living* language by your definition, but it
certainly is a language (as much so as Latin), and it certainly is growing
(with occasional interviews with Marc Okrand in HolQeD, and the recent
publication of The Klingon Way).  We're constantly testing the limits of
the grammar we know, and finding novel and interesting ways to use it in
order to make sense.

>"The stuff done by the ST writers is only incorporated after Marc Okrand has
>backfit it in a published work (such as the words introduced by writers
>for TNG
>and then included in the addendum to TKD)."
>The fact that all of this if copyrighted and therefore inaccessible to all is
>another reason why The Warrior Tongue isn't a "real" language.  "Is not truth
>truth for all."  --to quote the old series.

A "dictionary" as a simple lists of words and their translations can't
really be copyrighted, nor can a "language".  TKD is available to all...
who are willing to pay for it.  It's not held back from anyone.

>"no officially sanctioned mapping."
>This no official piQaD pisses me off.  You can't really learn a language
>if you
>can't use its alphabet.  I imagine it's very difficult to learn Japanese
>without
>the benefit of katakana and kanji.  Is Russian taught without the Cyrillic
>alphabet?

The "transcription system" given in TKD *is* the official alphabet.
(And Russian *is* sometimes taught with only ASCII characters available.)

>"The KLI does, however, use a simple alphabetic mapping between the Roman
>transcriptions and a subset of the characters that have appeared on
>screen; this
>mapping is given in the first issue of _HolQeD_, and fonts making use of
>it are
>available from the KLI."
>Again, unless you have access to someone's back issue collection . . . .

The KLI promotional flyer, available at many Trek conventions (and probably
free by mail from the KLI if you ask nicely -- or include a SASE), also
gives this pIqaD mapping.

>Any offense was not intended.

None taken (*this* time). :-7