tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 20:44:03 1996

Re: Phonology

bangteH writes:
>Are there any hard-and-fast rules or even loose theories about how to handle
>transliteration?

There are a number of examples.  For the "Star Trek Communicator", one of
the Trek fan magazines, the following names were transliterated:

mayqel Do'rIn = Michael Dorn
raqSan bIQ-DawSon = Roxann Biggs-Dawson
rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy = Robert O'Reilly
mayqel 'anSa'ra = Michael Ansara
jan kalI'qoS = John Colicos
barbara' ma'rIch = Barbara March
ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS = Gwynyth Walsh

Most notable is the extent to which consonant clusters are avoided.

>Why can't a system or general practice be derived for Hol?  Obviously, it
>wouldn't be canon but it would solve certain problems, especially in names.

The reason, of course, is that ignorant folks at Paramount keep on coming
up with goofy (pardon the technical term) Klingon words that just don't fit
the phonology which we have derived from TKD and other direct-via-Okrand
sources.

We've pretty much decided that names are exempt from grammar and spelling
rules, so the problems there are moot.  Why should Klingon names be any
less free than American ones?  I know three people with the same name, but
one spells it Brittany, another is Brittini, and the third one is Britainy.
My own first and last names have several variations: Alan/Allan/Allen/Allyn;
Anderson/Andersen/Andersson/Anderssen.  We have a Marc and a Mark (yes, and
a ~mark) on this list.