tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 15:34:40 1996

Re: KLBC : Bird of Prey

Mark J. Reed writes:
>Another possibility is {toQDuj <SuD'>Daq jIra'} (uhm, not sure about where to
>put the {-Daq} on nouns in apposition; do we have canon examples for this?)

Yes we do.  From Skybox card SP1 (listed in HolQeD 3:4):
{juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu' qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS...}
"During the aggressive expansion of the Klingon people from their homeworld
of Kronos into space..."  Looks like you got it right.

>\ This could be {yaS, So'wI' yISo'beHmoH} "Officer, make the cloaking
>\ device ready to cloak."
>Seems a bit redundant.  How about {... yIchu'beHmoH} "... ready to activate"?

So what if it's redundant?  I thought about trying to use {chu'}, but I
kept running into problems with {-moH} changing the focus of who/what is
actually doing the activating.  Your phrase translates as something like
"cause it to be ready to activate."  It ought to be more like "cause it
to be ready to *be activated*" -- but that starts to bring up the whole
{-moH} and {-lu'} interaction issue, and I didn't want to deal with it.

>(and would it be appropriate to include {-choH} here?)

{yISo'beHchoHmoH} "Cause it to start to be prepared to cloak."
This is very wordy.  I don't like it.