tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 14 15:22:58 1996

Re: Phonology & surroundings

| [email protected] writes:
| \> Marc Okrand (reH yInjaj! 'ej
| \
| \I see that reH is being translated here as "forever" in the phrase "May he
| \live forever".  <forever> rapbogh mu' vInejpu'taHvIS. Is this use commonly
| \accepted?
| I don't see it as "forever"; I see it as "always", which is exactly
| the gloss provided in TKD.  What is the difference between "May he
| always live!" and "May he live forever!"?
|
| -marqoS

Agreed. Though, reH = "forever" was made explicit in "Power Klingon":

reH 'uQvam vIqawtaH
   "I will remember this dinner forever."
reH tlhIngan wo' taHjaj
   "May the Klingon Empire continue forever!"
   (i.e. "Long live the Klingon Empire!"
reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj
   Klingons forever!

Forever and always,
Steven

 Steven L. Boozer              |                       How many ages hence
 University of Chicago Library |  Shall this our lofty scene be acted over
 ----------------------------- |  In states unborn and accents yet unknown!
 [email protected]   |         (Shakespeare, Julius Caesar III.i)

Back to archive top level