tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 14 14:46:02 1996

Re: Klingon CD-ROM

In a message dated 96-05-14 11:37:10 EDT, Bill Willmerdinger wrote:

>Tonight, while playing with the language lab, I found (under "Phrases") the
>sentence {charghbej vIt}.  In "more" Okrand talks about a "truth test."
 Does
>anyone know what the Hol word he uses is?  I heard {vIt Hay'} - which might
>make sense, since {Hay'} is given as the verb "duel" in TKD - but the more I
>play with the Lab, the more I wonder about what I'm hearing.  Some words I
>just can *not* pronounce to the Lab's satisfaction, with no pattern I can
>determine.

It is a new word, {vItHay'}, which may be found in HolQeD 5:1.  Okrand
pronounces it rather well, actually.

I agree with you about the language recognition.  It's weird!  I have tried
phrases which I am pronouncing perfectly, yet I cannot get a match, or it
tells me I mispronounced something when I clearly didn't.  And then I gave it
to a friend to try, a friend who has no wish to learn Klingon but liked to
play with new computer stuff, and he said something which was completely
different from the phrase, and got a rating of 100%!

Most of the time, however, the program works fine.

By the way, to all those who didn't know this (like be, before I bought it):
the version of Power Klingon what comes on one of the CD -Roms is very
edited.  It is only about 25 minutes long.  What has been retained is mostly
proverbs and situation phrases (in keeping with the idea of the Immersion
Studies theme of the game).

SuStel
Hovjaj 96369.3

Back to archive top level