tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 10 09:55:22 1996

Re: Differences ...

[email protected] (Adrian Luca) writes:
\ No. I was wondering why John M Ford didn't use Orkand's klingon
\ words, because they are supposed to BE in tlhingan-Hol.
\ Anyway, I just saw that difference and was curious if it had a
\ motive or not.

Take a look at the copyright date on _The_Final_Reflection_.  It
predates _The_Klingon_Dictionary_ and, indeed, predates
_Star_Trek_III_.  Ford had worked out his entire Klingon culture long
before Paramount decided to do anything with the race; when they did
decide to (belatedly; the bad guys in ST3 were originally going to be
Romulans), they elected not to use any of Ford's work.  In all
likelihood they didn't even know of it; I suspect that since it was
done for a ST novel, Paramount already owned the rights to it.

Anyway, we are left with Okrand's tlhIngan Hol, which is used in the
moveis and television show (and some in Ford's second novel,
_How_Much_For_Just_The_Planet?_), and Ford's Klingonaase, which has not
been fully developed (at least in public; judging by the cultural
background he apparently had, there may well be a full treatment of
Klingonaase grammar and vocabulary in Mr. Ford's personal possession).
There's no reason the two can't coexist; Earth certainly has more than
one language (approx. 300 depending on how dialects are grouped).  But
the dominant tongue, at least in the latter 23rd and early 24th
centuries, appears to be tlhIngan Hol.  Presumably this was the
language of the last emperor, and since there has been no emperor for a
while, the language hasn't changed.

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed                     |             http://www.sware.com
Email: [email protected]  |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level