tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 09 14:28:33 1996

Re: pong

In a message dated 96-05-09 03:59:40 EDT, HomDoq wrote:

>In english: I interpret {jIpong'eghta'} as "I have
>accomplished to call myself ..." not as "I have accomplished
>to give myself the name ..."; that is, from the definition
>{pong} as "name,call" I infer that it can be used to
>translate sentences like "I call him a liar." which is
>more like an "ongoing" action to me than a one time
>assignment.

I was referring to the initial act of naming myself, not to the continuous
use of the name.  I don't see the difference between "I have accomplished to
call myself" and "I have accomplished to give myself the name."  I don't see
how you are distinguishing "name" and "call."

According to my model, {SuStel jIpong'eghtaH} means "I call myself SuStel,"
and {SuStel jIpong'eghta'} means "I named myself SuStel."

By the way, if I wanted to stay away from {pong} as a verb, I'd say {SuStel
'oH pongwIj'e'} (or even {SuStel 'oHtaH pongwIj'e'}), and {SuStel 'oHchoHta'
pongwIj'e'}.

SuStel
Hovjaj 96355.6

Back to archive top level