tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 08 15:05:26 1996

pong

jIQubtaH . . . We all know of the problem with the word {pong}.  We don't
know how to say something like "I created a character.  His name is Krunoth."

Suppose {pong} were considered a word of saying.  After all, a name is a
thing you say.  If this were the case, then to say "I named him Krunoth," you
could say {Qunotlh vIpongta'} or {vIpongta' Krunoth}.  If you were going to
play the part of Krunoth in a play, I could say {Qunotlh qapong} or {qapong
Qunotlh}.  This would eliminate the double-object problem.

I myself will not use this idea until more information comes out, but I
thought it bears contemplation.  Personally, how to use the words of speaking
is {mI' wa'} on my own wish list.  However, I'd love to be able to say
{SuStel jIpong'eghta'}.

SuStel
Hovjaj 96352.9

Back to archive top level