tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 08 09:20:20 1996

ST:Klingon Language Lab vs. TKD (was: Klingon names)

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

Andre Seesink writes:
        [...]
>I haven't even got the book from Marc, but I'm waiting for the 'Klingon
>Warrior' CD-Rom.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Language Lab; I wonder if it can be a
true substitute for The Klingon Dictionary.
<<<<<

It certainly isn't, nor is it intended to be. The ST:K Language Lab teaches
the 26 phonemes (basic sounds) of tlhIngan Hol and about 100 words
[and phrases], in eight categories: Commands, Food and Drink, Weapons,
Rituals, Cursing (including insults), Myths and Legends, Battle Language,
and Useful Phrases. You need some of these to play the game, others
help you understand it without being necessary for play, and others may
just be for fun. It's a phrase book, not a dictionary plus grammar like TKD.
It has other advantages, though, especially the correction, which you
can't get on the tapes.

You choose a category, and the LL steps you through the words
in that category in a fixed order. For each word, you see the standard
spelling and a picture (or you can choose Gowron saying the word to
you: he's your tutor). Then, if you have a sound board and mike, you click
on the microphone symbol (poorly identified in the manual; looks like an
angular 3-part flower) and say the word. You get a numerical rating and
either
 * Gowron's voice saying "Qapla'!" or
 * Marc Okrand's voice pointing out a specific error. In the second case,
you'll also see a formulaic spelling of the error.

Take <Ha'DIbaH>, for example. Suppose you blow the <H>'s and the <'>
and say something like "hadibah". The LL will pick up one error at a time.
Let's say it picks up on your wimpy <H>. It'll display "Recognized:
ha'DIba", and MO will say something like "The first syllable of this word
begins with a harsh, raspy <H>, not a soft English <h>. Don't say
<ha'DIba>, say <Ha'DIbaH>.  <Ha'DIbaH>." Then you can click the mike on
and try again. If you correct your <H>'s but still miss the <'>, you'll see
"Recognized: HaDIbaH", and MO will tell you to pause momentarily after
the first syllable, but not after the second, and he'll pronounce it for you
again. Correct both your errors, and <Qapla'!>.

A lot of the words have additional notes with them, that you can see by
clicking on "More". Some of these are cultural, some are grammatical.

We developed the speech recognition and correction system here at
Dragon Systems. It's not perfect, but we're proud of it.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

               Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]
   Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
320 Nevada St. : Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
 | KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html |