tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 06 14:39:22 1996

*fannish* DajatlhlaH'a'?

Noting the frequency of messages asking/telling about {HIchop}, I thought it
good to expound -- and expand -- on it.

The classic {HIchop} can be used as a curse, but there is the constant danger
that it can be construed as a mating request (remote) or worse, an instruction.

To minimize that chance, use the modified version, which can in no way be
confused with affection:

{HIchop ngotlhHom!}...................."Bite me, fanboy!"
(lit. "Bite me, little fanatic")

Sadly, I could find no word for "blow" other than {Qay'}, so there is no
reasonable translation (yet) for "Blow me." I expect the word, in that
particular sense, anyway, to be rather low on the KLI's wish list.

You could both express and cause shock and surprise by uttering the following:

{HIngagh!}............................."<CENSORED> me!"

..but it might actually be more likely taken as a mating request than a curse,
unless done to someone of the same sex, and even then, use it only against
someone who knows you very well.

In case someone accuses you of having no "dirt under your fingernails," the
response is clear-cut. Immediately say in a loud voice:
{naDev bultlhlIj vIghaj!}.............."I gotcher butlh right here!"
and hold up your middle finger for inspection. This should garner respect right
away. Possible a broken middle finger, but definitely respect.

-- David Wood, Freelance Computer Consultant
("Freelance" is just a cheesy way of saying "Irregularly Employed")

Back to archive top level