tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 27 23:20:53 1996

Re: Stephen's introduction

peHruS writes:
>In a message dated 96-06-26 21:52:15 EDT, ghunchu'wI' writes:
>
>>"Stephen is my name" we write {pongwIj 'oH *Stephen*'e'}.
>
>I, peHruS, prefer {*Stephen* 'oH pongwIj'e'} because it translates back
>literally as "As for my name, it is Stephen."  I prefer putting the emphasis
>that Klingon's {-'e'} carries on {pong}.  The other way would translate "As
>for Stephen, it is my name."

This "other way" is the way I think of it.  I have many names, but each of
them is my name.  For an introduction, I believe the topic of the sentence
should be the *name* itself, not the reference to "my name".

pongwIj 'oH *Alan*'e' 'ej pongwIj 'oH *Hacker*'e' 'ej pongwIj 'oH *Duck*'e'.

As for Alan, it is my name; and as for Hacker, it is my name; and as for Duck,
it is my name.

There's obviously room for debate about this, and I can certainly imagine a
situation where the topic *should* be the "my name" idea.  For example, one
of two identical twins might say "No, *my* name is Judy!"