tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 18:50:04 1996

Re: nuqneH, tlhInganpu' {{{{B-[

Seng writes:
>nuqneH.

[yIqImHa', ghunchu'wI'.  potlhchu'be'.]

>Seng jIH.

"I am trouble."  Is this a childhood nickname? :-)

>quaqIHneS.

I'm sure it was just a slip of the fingers, but try to watch your spelling.
[Sounds like you've been taking Klingon lessons from Kor...]

>HoghnaD *mailing list*vam  vIleghpu'  Daj
>'ej   chu' jIH jatlhwI' tlhIngan'Hol.

"Week-commendation [?] I have seen this mailing list.  It is interesting
and speaker Klingon-x-language I am [*] new."  This is very confusing to
me.  I think I got the separate sentences okay, but they don't say much.
What is that first word {HoghnaD} supposed to mean?  Did you perhaps
intend to say {Hogh naQ} "the entire week"?  If that is what you meant,
I'd have said {qaStaHvIS Hogh naQ} "while an entire week occurred."
I think the last part is supposed to be "I am a new speaker of the Klingon
language" but I'm not sure.  Assuming I'm right, the words need to be in
this order: {tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' chu' jIH}.  Everything except the "I am"
is part of the sentence's object, and has to come before {jIH}.

> jIneH ghoj.

"I want; he learns."  See TKD section 6.2.5; this is a sentence-as-object
construction.  It should translate as "I want that I learn".  {neH} is a
special case in that the word "that" doesn't get used, so it comes out as
{jIghoj vIneH}.

>That's all I can think of now....how'd I do?

I hope I have answered you in such a way as to help you do better next time.

>boch ghlchraj  -- Your Nose Is Shiny!

toH! Another victim of the sans-serif font used in the Appendix.  Look at
that second word very closely; it's supposed to have the letter {I} "eye"
in it, not the letter {l} "ell".