tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 12:41:56 1996

Re: Klingon Cards

I suggested this to Lawrence once, and the idea had at that time
already come up at the first qep'a' (presumably in the now-famous
Krankor poker game). It doesn't seem like a good KLI project precisely
because there's not much to it - not a lot of linguistic merit.  (I
plan on creating a deck for my personal use, mostly for the artistic
pleasure of designing the illustrations. . . but that's *completely*
off-topic.)

However, since Klingonists do get together and play cards, it does make
sense to be able to talk about it, so we at least need a list of names
for the various cards, and other card-playing terminology.  I believe
such a list was developed and included in Krankor's column in one of
the issues of _HolQeD_, but I am away from my collection at the moment.

There are a couple problems with your version.  First, the deck itself:
a standard deck of playing cards does not have a "1"; the Ace *is* the
one.  As far as the translations, {be'nal ta'} means "wife's
emperor"; "wife of emperor" (= "emperor's wife") would be {ta' be'nal}.
Also, the Ace is not necessarily "highest of them all"; it depends
entirely on the game at hand.  Anyway, I don't think a standalone
law'/puS construction makes a good name, and {jen} probably refers to
physical altitude, not rank.  I would stick with {wa'} for the Ace.
(But again, the preferred terms would be those in the _HolQeD_ column.)

-marqoS

Back to archive top level