tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 08:54:32 1996

Re[2]: Criticism (was Re: translation)

> There are people who post "I'll be on vacation" in English.  This is neither
> in Klingon nor about Klingon, but yet it draws no flak.  A Klingon wouldn't
> announce his departure, he would just leave.

Quoting Lawrence:  "Well, it's rather pointless to post complaints to someone
who has gone off on vacation, isn't it?"
Okay, bad example.

"On a related (and linguistic) topic, how might one express the concept of
criticism in Klingon?  Is it an argument or debate (which suggests the use of
<ghoH>), or would a variation on complain be more on the mark (<bepHa'> doesn't
really work for me).  Since we seem to engage in so much of this, for good or
ill, we ought to have a term for it. "
It seems to me that Klingons would call it "correction" or some such [with an
inherent value judgment built in, I suspect].  They might say "More
accurately . . ." or "More precisely . . ." first.  Or, can "That would be
better said" be expressed in Klingon?

As far as the noun "criticism", I think "correction" works.  "Modification",
"Improvement", etc.

Back to archive top level