tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 07:00:54 1996

Virus Warning

This is not about the Klingon language, but I just got a warning about a
two viruses on the internet and I thought that the people on this list
would like to hear about it.  Please do not get angry that this is not
about the Klingon language.  I think this is important enough that I
can post this.

	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*

>>Subject:  Internet Viruses
>>Author:   David Link at POLIC
>>Date:     6/24/96 11:11 AM
>>

>>If you recieve E-Mail from the Internet or "go fishing" for
>>interesting programs or files, beware of the following:
>>1.  Someone is sending a E-Mail message called "Good Times" across the
>>Internet.
>>DO NOT READ THE MESSAGE.  DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY.  It has a virus that
>rewrites
>>your hard drive deleting anything on your drive.  The FCC released a
>warning
>>last Wednesday.  It was engineered by a user on AMERICA ON LINE.  Not
>only will
>>it kill your hard drive it can also create a constantly running loop
>that
>>could severly damage your processor.  A good policy is if you recieve
>mail
>>with an unkown sender attached to it, delete it.  Don't opn it.
>>
>>2.  DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP300 REGARDLESS OF THE
>>EXTENSION.
>>A NEW Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the internet with the name
>>PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the impression that this file
>is
>>a new version of the PKZIP software used to "ZIP" (compress) files.
>>DO NOT DOWNLOAD this file under any circumstances!!! If you install or
>>expand this file, the virus WILL wipe your hard disk clean and affect
>>modems at 14.4 and higher.  This is an extremely destructive
>virus
>>and there is NOT yet a way of cleaning up this one.
>>REPEAT:  DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP3OO REGARDLESS OF THE
>>EXTENSION.

Katie
B'Elanna

Back to archive top level