tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 21 22:32:21 1996

Re: sentences

Katie (B'Elanna) writes:
>I tried the sentences you gave me.  Here is what I came up with.
>
>jIwuQ - I have a headache

Perfect.  You recognized the verb prefix and were able to find the
right verb to look up.

>mungor -I can find mung - origin and mun - intervene

Here you missed the fact that {mu-} is a verb prefix.  With that
hint, you now ought to be able to translate this.

>Qup ghu - The baby is young

Perfect again.  You see the subject placed after the verb.

>HIvje' chIl chom - The bartender lost the glass

majQa!  You correctly translated a sentence with both an explicit subject
and an explicit object.

>jup vIghaj jIH - I have him as a friend

Not quite.  {vIghaj} is "I have him/her/it", but the object {jup} simply
fits in the "him/her/it" slot.  I was trying to give an example of the
extra emphasis that the explicit pronoun indicates when it's already
implied by the verb prefix.  {jup vIghaj} is just "I have a friend."
{jup vIghaj jIH} is more like "It is *I* who have a friend."

The last few examples should give you a feel for how simple Klingon
sentences are put together.  Once you're comfortable with writing at
this level, you can add in some adverbs, then subordinate clauses, a
relative clause or two, etc.  You're doing okay so far; you only need
to practice.  I hope the quantity of good Klingon on the list stays at
a good level; you should try to translate everything you can.  If you
have problems, post your translation attempt (put the codeword KLBC in
the subject) and I'll help you through the problems.