tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 19 14:17:50 1996

Re: thursday today

ghItlh ~mark

> - From what Okrand has told us, generally -'e' functions as a focus marker
> (tho it's erroneously labeled a topic marker) when attached to a noun.
> That means it emphasizes something as new information: jIluj jIH'e': it was
> *I* who failed, not someone else.  The failure is not at issue, and is not
> being questioned; the sentence's main point is *who* was the one that did
> it.  I know there have been a few questions as to some cases where -'e'
> seesm to be a topic marker (As for me, I failed), but so far as I know the
> official meaning is focus.

I understand the difference between emphasizing the person:  jIluj jIH'e' (it
was *I* who failed) and the failure:  jIlujqu' or jIlujqu' jIH (Boy, did I ever
blow it).   But I'm not clear on the difference between 'focus' (*I* failed, not
someone else) and topic (As for me, I failed).  Can you give a few more examples
to clarify the distinction?

Secondly, why does this example appear on p29 on TKD as lujpu' jIH and lujpu'
jIH'e' with the verb prefixes missing?  I thought the jI- could never be
omitted.

Satlho'neS

T'Lark
Irene Gates