tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 19 02:49:01 1996

Re: new here

Alan Anderson wrote:

> Katie (B'Elanna) writes:
> >I'll put the words about and this where I need them.
>
> I don't see any "about" or "this" in your message.  What did you mean?
>
> >pongwIj Katie .
> >'ach jIhtu' Hoch lo' tlhIngan pong vaj jIh lo' tlhIngan pong B'Elanna.
> >jIh tu' vay' ghotpu' ja' Dochmey bID tlhIngan Dochmey ghobe' ja' vay'
> >pong.
>
> I had thought I was confused by your running sentences together, but now
> it's obvious what the problem I was having really was.  You're apparently
> translating pretty much word-for-word from english.  If I take each of the
> words in isolation, ignoring for a moment any grammar, I think it says:
> "My name Katie.  But I notice everyone uses a Klingon name so I use the
> Klingon name B'Elanna.  I notice some people say things half Klingon
> things no say somebody name."  Well, it falls apart at the end, but it's
> clear that you aren't putting the words together using the grammatical
> rules spelled out in The Klingon Dictionary.
>
> Klingon is emphatically *not* just a code for english.  It has its own
> distinct grammar.  Half of The Klingon Dictionary is devoted to explaining
> how words and sentences are put together and how to interpret them after
> they are put together.  I don't have the patience to teach someone correct
> Klingon grammar from scratch; you'll have to spend some time studying the
> descriptions and examples in The Klingon Dictionary.
>
> You *do* have a copy of TKD, don't you?  There are several good translation
> programs around now that can translate individual words, but I've never seen
> one that can do even a rudimentary job of parsing complex sentences.  Unless
> you know what prefixes and suffix are appropriate, and in what order to put
> the words once you've translated them, anything you write won't be understood.
>
> If you've read TKD, you don't understand it, and you still want to learn the
> Klingon language, the Klingon Language Institute does sponsor a several-part
> course by mail.  See http://www.kli.org/kli/projects.html#postcourse for more
> information.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

I have the Klingon Dictionary, but I don't understand how to write it so
that it's understandable.  I read through it and understand how to make
the words and write them.  But when it comes to making sentences that
aren't in the book I have problems with them.  Could you e-mail me back
and tell me how this should have been written.

Katie
B'Elanna

Back to archive top level