tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 16 12:10:53 1996

Re: Rampant Punctaution

~mark wrote:

> Old Hebrew prayers had no punctuation in
>the original, but most modern prayer-books use Western
>punctuation (periods, commas) to indicate the phrases
True. But only these two marks--my Hebrew keyboard has no
provision for colons or semi-colons. I have to switch to English
to get those characters.

>Hell, the earliest Hebrew,
>the earliest versions of the Bible, had no *vowels* written, but
>they're written in now, as a convenience to modern readers.
Depends where you are. I grant you that outside of Israel,
particularly with beginners, vowels are used, but here, once
yo've got a third grade education, you're expected to do fine
without vowels. Heck, if I had to remember when to use a patach
and when a komatz, I'd be in deep trouble.

BTW, Lawrence and ~mark, y'all don't expect the Hebrew
translation to have vowels, do you? Because none of my
word-processing porgrams even support the little suckers...

Maybe the Kllingons are like the Israelis in this--punctuation
is used when learning the language, and implicitly understood by
those fluent.

~Doq

e're not Klingons,

Back to archive top level