tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 15 22:23:04 1996

Using the honorific -neS

I noticed that Dr. Schoen closed his message about the "qep'a'":

       "qep'a'Daq SaleghneS"   --  I (will be) honored to see you all at the
"qep'a'"

In both the Klingon Dictionary and Power Klingon the use of  "-neS" is
mentioned as being used for addressing someone of higher rank (military or
political).  It is infrequently used and never required.  As a human myself, I
can understand the deference being used.  I was taught to always be polite and
show respect to others.  (A year and a half in a Roman Catholic college
seminary etched it further into my psyche.)

What are the guidelines for using  "-neS"  in the mailings and in our Terran
Klingon societies.  (Or will this set off a tirade like nuqneH -- If so ignore
this posting!)

[email protected]

Back to archive top level