tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 14 13:40:18 1996

Re: To greet or not to greet? The canonical question

>>      nuqneH is specifically mentioned as being used only if you *must*
>> use a greeting, but it is not encouraged or preferred.  It is also always
>> used by the person being approached, rather than the person doing the
>> approaching.  This is consistent in every example.  Walking into a
>> conversation, such as this list, and announcing "nuqneH!" is
>> inappropriate and wrong.  I interpret it more like when you walk up to
>> the counter in a store and then don't say anything.  Eventually the
>> person behind the counter will say "Yes?", or "May I help you?" to begin
>> the conversation.  Every example of nuqneH is used in this same context.
>
>I always understood that 'nuqneH' was the challenge of the Klingon
>who was about to be adressed, i.e. not the initiator of the conversation.
>This way the initiator is forced/reminded to come to the point immediately.
>Therefor a mail to the list starting with nuqneH would be inapropriate,
>but no reason to flame the poor beginner to death (remember: Klingons
>hate burning their food }}:).

As a KAGster and an active costumed roleplayer, we tend to do this in character:
Start talking about what we want immediately, and save "nuqneH?" for the
foolish terra'nganpu' that come up and gawk. We did some filming for the
Learning Channel (TLC) 2 weekends ago and demonstrated both greetings and
farewells. For a farewell we intro'ed it as a traditional farewell, between
two warriors that had know and fought together for years: we turned our
backs to each other and walked away without a word. but of  course
YMMV......

Back to archive top level