tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 11:07:27 1996

Re[2]: To greet or not to greet? The canonical question

Quoting Thomas M. Zeman throughout:

"     I disagree completely.  CK makes it quite clear that the most
appropriate way to begin a conversation in tlhIngan Hol is to "simply
state your business.  No more and no less."  PK states that
superfluous chit chat makes the speaker seem duplicitous."
Alright.  Let's assume that a beginning has the TKD.  I suspect this is a safe
assumption.  I further suspect that beginners don't start with CK and/or PK to
draw from.

So, to a beginner armed only with TKD, using nuqneH IS perfectly valid.

"     I agree that newbies should not be treated rudely, and I don't think
they have been,"
They have.  Ask them if they have.  I think they'll say yes.  Unfortunately, the
newbies who perceive themselves to have been flamed will run.  We're not likely
to get a chance to ask them their opinion or to apologize for our blunt and
overbearing nature [as Klingons].

Further, while "this is a KLINGON list", we are not Klingons.  While "Klingons
would correct mistakes swiftly, forcefully, and immediately" we are members of a
non-profit organization largely dependent on volunteers for its survival.  That
is the reality.

If we want things done there are two ways they will get done.  Recruit from
amongst the ranks of enthusiastic newbies or do everything ourselves.  Which way
is more efficient, Klingons?

--Acts of bang.  [bangteH]

Back to archive top level