tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 10 21:01:11 1996

Re: new here

nyuD writes:
>tlhInganoypu', {Dear Klingons,}
>(Or should I say: "jen pa'" {"Hi there"} :-)

wejpuH.  Please don't say either of these!  I'll forgive you -- barely --
since they were apparently intended in jest.

>I feel I have been watching you long enough and just wanted
>to tell you I was there.

Making the leap from lurker to active poster is a good first step.  Stick
around and learn with us!

>Some parts of this list read as if you all would extremely dislike
>Star Trek. Well, I consider myself being a Star Trek fan, just for
>your knowledge.

I don't think anybody here *dislikes* Star Trek; it's just not the
major focus.

>I always was interested in other languages, and because of that tlhIngan
>Hol would pretty good match with my greatest hobbies (Computers & Star Trek).
>
>Some facts on my person: (if you are not interested, cut it out)
>(my first real words! wow!)

Cut out the important part of your note?  Qo'!  It contains the only stuff
that makes the note worth posting on this list: tlhIngan Hol!

>   I am a 15-year old half-Klingon.
>    {bIDtlhIngan jIH 'ej wa'maH vagh teraDISmey jItogh.}

{bIDtlhIngan} seems okay as a compound; its meaning is obvious to me.
But {tera' DISmey} as two words is just as understandable as what you
wrote without a space (and you lost a {'} in {tera'}); I discourage
unnecessary compounding.

>   (Half Klingon because my parents are humans.)
>    {(Humanno'wIjmo' bIDtlhIngan jIH.)}

I think that first word would be much better as two: {Human no'wI'mo'}.
Note also that the possessive suffix should be {-wI'}; ancestors are
capable of using language.

>   I like programming and eating, too.
>    {ghun je Sop vIparHa' je.}

"He also programs; he eats; I also like it."  Klingon doesn't have an
"infinitive" as such, and the "gerund" forms like "eating" are unusual.
Things like this are usually translated using the "sentence-as-object"
construction (see TKD 6.2.5).  It becomes {jIghun 'e' vIparHa'.  jISop
'e' vIparHa' je}  "I like that I program; I also like that I eat."
(We do have the suffix {-ghach}, but I believe verbs should remain verbs
unless there's no other way to do it.)

>I am quite sure this says something like:
>
>    {My 15 halves are old Klingons.}
>    {Half of my Human parents are Klingons.}
>    {I am programming food.}
>
>But trying never hurts... (except you try to annoy a Klingon ==> :%)

bIQapchugh, bI'oy'bej.