tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 10 13:54:18 1996

Re: KLBC

>Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:29:42 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>Thomas Zeman writes:

>>qep'a' wejDIchdaq jIjaH, yapchugh HuchwIj.
>><I will go to the Third Convention, if my money is sufficient.>

>maj.  yapjaj HuchwIj!  [But watch spelling; there's no Klingon letter {d}.]

You *did* mean "Huch*l*Ij", right, ghunchu'wI'?

>>ALIEN was on the Sci-Fi channel earlier this week.  It got me thinking
>>about the line, "In space, no one can hear you scream."  I came up with
>>the following version:
>>
>>loghdaq soHmo', jachmeylij Qoybe'.
>><Because you are in space, they do not hear your screams.> or possibly
>><Because you are in space, your screams are not heard.>

>The first translation is correct; "...he does not hear your screams" would
>also be correct.  For the second translation, see TKD 4.2.5 and read about
>the suffix {-lu'}.  {jachmeylIj Qoy'be'lu'} "one does not hear your screams"
>or "your screams are not heard."

>Why be so wordy?  {loghDaq} seems fine to me as the locative for the verb
>{Qoy}, and the {SoHmo'} seems unnecessary.

Um, since when is "jach" a noun?  Did I miss something?

>Actually, the phrase from Alien can be translated directly without problems.
>{loghDaq bIjach 'e' QoylaH pagh} "Nobody can hear you scream in space."

This is much better.  Maybe "loghDaq bIjach net Qoybe'".

>>tlhIngan SuvwI' luqIH. [They meet a Klingon warrior.]

>Good, you got the prefix right here.  I'm not sure {qIH} is the right word
>for the meaning you wanted, though.  Would {tu'} or {ghom} work okay?

Probably any of the above.  I tend to think of qIH as a social meeting,
being introduced to someone.

>>verangan QoywI'Du' teq 'ej targhDaj je'.
>>[He removes the Ferengi's ears and feeds his targ.]

>The word for "ear (external)" is {qogh}.  The internal organ is {teS}.
>Perhaps you could make explicit the implication that he fed the Ferengi's
>ears to his targ? {...targhDaj je'meH qoghDu'vam lo'.}

I think it's fine without it.  It's clear what we're talking about, and it
gets wordy.  Though "targhDajvaD qoghDu' je'" is okay.

Note that "qogh" (and teS) are not in TKD, but in a HolQeD somewhere, so
don't panic if you can't find them.

~mark

Back to archive top level