tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 07 18:42:23 1996

Re: A Skit: Parts One and Two

LtBarrows writes:
>Well, here it is again: my skit tentatively entitled "qa'no leyna' je".

I've finally got some time to spend on this.  I'll only be excerpting
the lines that I think need to receive comment.

>                                qa'no leyna' je      (pong ru')

[Why not {ru' pong}?  I've always preferred complete sentences.]

>(2) leyna' ('el): QaH!

Clipped speech does make sense here.

>(3) qa'no : qaQaHqu'nIS'a'?  (Hagh. yev. Sagh.) qaStaH nuq?

Perhaps {SaghchoH}?  And this is a rare occasion: "What's happening?" seems
to be a perfectly appropriate question here, instead of a weak pleasantry.

>(7) qa'no (yuv.): yIDoH. jIH HoSghaj law' Hoch HoSghaj puS.

Maybe {HIDoH}?  I know you translated it "Back off," but that sounds a bit
idiomatic.  Unlike the english phrase, you don't gain any brevity in the
Klingon by leaving off the "from me" meaning.

>(8) leyna' : qoH SoH 'ej bIHegh.  Dujmaj vItIj. naDev Daratlhchugh qanISbe'.

I don't think {ratlh} works with an object.  Make it {bIratlhchugh}.

>(10) (pa' ghoS leyna'.  Hagh qa'no.  lojmItmey SoQmoH.)

Your use of {pa' ghoS} here is very ambiguous.  How about {pa'vo' ghoS}?
That way we know she's moving *from* somewhere, and because I think the
suffix {-vo'} acts a lot like {-Daq} it tends to indicate that the word
{pa'} means "room".

>(11) qa'no : naDev verghlu'be' Duj 'e' Sovbe'. tugh ngoDvam tu'. 'Iv qoH teH?

{naDev Duj verghlu'be'}.  Remember, {-lu'} means there isn't a definite
subject, so nothing in the sentence should follow the verb it is on.
{'Iv qoH teH} sounds strained; I think it needs a real verb.

>(14) (DujDaq qetlI' leyna'.  retlhDaq jaghpu' legh.  qa'no pa'Daq chegh
>leyna' 'ach SoQ lojmIt tu'.)

{...SoQ lojmIt 'e' tu'}.

>(16) qa'no (Hagh.): Duj bItu'laHbe''a'?, leyna'?

I'd use {Sam} instead of {tu'} here.

>(17) leyna' : jatlh 'e' mev!  naDev jaghpu'! ghoS!

{chol} or {chollI'} sounds better to me than {ghoS}.

>(20) qa'no: maj. majQa'! (lojmIt poS.)

{lojmIt poSmoH}.  (There's no reason to clip the stage directions.)

>(22) qa'no (lojmIt SoQ): chay' jaghpu'ma' DIHoHlaH 'e' vISov.  HItlhap.
> (pa'Daq retlh ghoS.)

The more I think about it, the less I like {chay'} for this meaning.  How
about something like {jaghpu'ma' DIHoHlaHmeH mIw vISov}?

>(24) qa'no: jaghpu'ma'  Qaw' jorwI'vam.  Ha'.  (pegh lojmItDaq ghoS chaH.)

The last sentence doesn't seem right.  {ghoS} usually has a destination or
a point of departure, not something *through which* one travels.  I'm sure
some will argue that the door can be considered a "course", but I'm just as
sure that there are better ways to say this.  And since the verb {pegh} can
mean "be secret", a "secret door" is {lojmIt pegh}.  How about these:
{lojmIt pegh lulo'} or {lojmIt pegh lu'el} or {lojmIt peghDaq tlheD chaH}.

>(25)  (jolpa' ghoS leyna' je qa'no.  tugh lojmIt  pa'Daq latlh ghor jaghpu'.
> jor jorwI'. Dej pa' ej

{...leyna' qa'no je}.  Keep those conjunctions where they belong!  I am a
bit uncomfortable using {latlh} in complex phrases; I can't quite figure
out the word order and where the {-Daq} should go when trying to translate
"the door in the other room".  Try {pa' wa'DIch lojmIt} "the first room's
door".

>(26) Hegh jaghpu' law'.  lojmIt pegh chaw' poStaHmo' qa'no je leyna' tlha'laH
>jaghmey puS.)

The second sentence has more problems than I can easily fix; I think it
needs to be rewritten from scratch.  Care to try again?

>(27) SuvwI' jegh (jolpa' 'el) : SIbI' pejegh!  SunarghlaHbe'!

{SuvwI' jegh} means "he surrenders the warrior".  {SuvwI' jagh} would
mean "the warrior's enemy".  Perhaps for "enemy warrior" you should say
{jagh SuvwI'}, but a simple {jagh} would work.

"I did certainly be closed it $#@%!"  Looks like you lost a {-moH}.

>(30) (HIv SuvwI'pu' jegh. wa' nuHDaj chaghmoH qa'no. SuvwI' DuQ qa'no.)

{SuvwI'pu' jegh} again? :-)  {nuHDaj chagh wa'} is a complete sentence
with both subject and object; if you put {-moH} on the verb, its subject
becomes the object, and there's nowhere for the object to go.  {-moH}
doesn't get along well with transitive verbs.  There's an easy formulaic
solution to this: add the sentence {'e' qaSmoH}.  It's not always the
right way to translate the idea, but it's often worth trying.  So we
get {nuHDaj chagh wa' 'e' qaSmoH qa'no}.

>(32) (SuvwI' pup leyna'. SuvwI' pum 'ej DuQ je HoH leyna'. Haw' latlh.
>jolvoyDaq Qam qa'no
>(33) leyna' je.  DujchajDaq jol.)

The second sentence ought to be {pum SuvwI' 'ej DuQ leyna' 'ej HoH} or
something similar.  {SuvwI'} is {pum}'s subject, and {leyna'} should show
up on the first verb of which she is the subject.  {jolvoy'} lost a {'}.