tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 03 23:22:41 1996

Re: "under" (was KLBC:Name that Song)

At 10:09 PM 6/3/96 -0700, this was written:

[...]
>> Maybe {nagh bIngDaq} IS the object after all

> Interesting!!  :)

> Until this discussion began, I, too, looked at Locative constructs at
> Adverbial clauses.  That is because in Earth language they are Adverbial
> clauses.  But, TKD pp27-28 clearly states [... bla bla bla ...]

> [...] I found this [the snipped bit] within Section 3.3.5.
>       "Syntactic Markers."

> Contrary to my own belief up to now, I read in this passage that Locatives
> are Noun constructs, not Adverb constructs.  Such Noun clauses would
> constitute an Object of a Verb.

I think [but am certainly no expert] that these things _are_ noun constructs,
but of course they are not objects of the verb. EVER. These locative noun
constructions are placed [only?] before the object of the verb. I suppose in
that respect they _are_ functioning as adverbials.

voqHa'wI'
              [email protected]  / /     / / / /____/ // / / / \ \
       [email protected]  / /____ / / / // __  // /_/ /___\ \
  http://brucehall29.anu.edu.au/   /______//_/ /_//_/ /_//_____//_____/