tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 14:34:02 1996

Re: My "Hello" to the list

Hi Mark,

> batlh jumuv!

'oH belwIj

(errm, I think ... am I picking particularly hard things to say or is it
just a hell of a lot more difficult that I first thought ...)

> KLBC stands for Klingon Language Beginners Something (Conference?)  The

<snip>

Thanks. I shall use it as and when I feel the need. :-) Who is the Beginners
Grammarian ? I take it they're quite busy ! Would it be wrong to "use" a
non-beginners grammarian or is it your own lookout to decide who to help and
who to leave ?

> I'd have said "nuq 'oH Qu' Hoch'e'?" (what is everyone's task?)  QaptaH and
> vumtaH are both verbs.  I don't remember exactly how you phrased it in your

Hmm. I've really got to get out of this fixed OBJECT-VERB-SUBJECT syntax
that's stuck in my head. I was really trying hard to get a verb to fit "job"
nicely into the format and still say what I wanted.

A question though .. does it need the {'oH} or would {nuq Qu' Hoch'e'} be
acceptable. I assume the {'e'} is needed too, although I wouldn't have
thought to put it in.

And what's with the English punctuation in the tlhIngan script ?

> tej HaDwI' qoj chaH'a' Hoch'e'?  (hmm.  chaH may well be wrong, since Hoch
> should construe as a singular.)

{chaH} seems fine to me. But I have some queries about this one. Firstly,
should that be {joq} instead of {qoj} seeing as both {tej} and {HaDwI'} are
nouns ? Why are they both singular when the intention is "scientists" ?
(i.e. no {pu'}) I used QulwI'pu' for researchers. Is that wrong, given your
comments about Hoch being singuar ?

> tlhIngan Hol laDlaHchu''a' vay'?  (HIja', wIlaDlaH jIH, latlhpu' je.)

Ahah ! I was quite close with this one ! I actually wrote

{tlhIngan Hol lulaDlaHchu'taH'a' vay'}

But I realise now that the {taH} was completely wrong. Is my {lu} incorrect
for the same reason as your concern about {chaH} above (i.e. vay' is a
singular noun even though it refers to a group)

Phew. This is probably going to help my english grammar too :-)

Qapla'

Rob

--

|           tlhIngan Hol             |    Why not take a quick peek at     |

Back to archive top level