tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 29 17:34:58 1996

Re: Please translate back

>ghItlh peHruS:
>>qagh woHmeH ghopDu' lo' tlhIngan loD
>>wanI'vam bej tera'ngan be' 'ej mIw nIb ruch ghaH
>
>"A Klingon man uses his hands to pick up _qagh_.  A Terran woman
>watches this event and she proceeds the identical procedure."
>
>{ruch} doesn't quite seem appropriate.  I don't think "go ahead" can have
>an object.  The word that I would use here is more like "perform" or "do",
>but that's not in the vocabulary.  How about {tagh} "begin, initiate"?
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

qatlho'

tagh wIlo' 'e' vIQochbe'

I was looking for a way to say "follows his/her example."

I was also considering using {Da}, "acts, behaves in the manner...."  But, I
could not quite get it to work.  Suggestions are welcome.

In Mandarin, "uses something to do something" is the way we express "doing
something *with* something."  Chinese, too, does not have prepositions as
English does.

peHruS

Back to archive top level