tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 23 13:06:19 1996

Re: Laughing At It

According to [email protected]:

> tlhaQmo' lutDaj jIHagh
> I laughed at his story (because of his story).

maj.

> lutDaj vIHagh
> I laughed at his story.

vIpar.

> I have heard no reply to my post two weeks or so ago that many, if not all,
> Klingon Verbs can be used either transitively or intransitively.
>
> *transitive* qoj *intransitive* tlhIngan Hol wotmey Hoch wa'maHloSHu'
> jabbI'ID vIghItlhpu' 'ach Sujang 'e' vIQoybe'
>
> Is there any merit in pursuing this idea?

At this time, there is no likely merit in this pursuit. There
is not cannon nor rule suggesting it, and while some like the
idea and others hate it, neither side has an argument which
won't become dust as soon as Okrand actually pronounces one or
the other approach as valid. All canon up to this point fails
to offer any examples of this, which makes for a pretty weak
argument in its favor. One would think Okrand had written
enough to use this "feature" if he considered it a valid one.
He has, after all, used verb prefixes to indicate indirect
objects, and some of us can't bring ourselves to accept it
(myself not included), but he has no examples of English
intransitive verbs in Klingon used transitively. None. Zip.
Zed. Zero. pagh.

> qechvam wItlha'nIS'a'
>
> peHruS

charghwI'